top of page

5 Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Here is a short list of 5 foods your dog should never eat:

  1. Chocolate: contains “theobromine“. We humans can process and metabolize it quite quickly, but in dogs, the process is much slower which allows it to built up toxic levels. According to VCA Animal Hospitals, clinical signs of chocolate poisoning can take hours to develop and last for days. If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, contact your local Veterinarian immediately.

  2. Grapes and Raisins: grapes and raisin toxicity is well known and is associated with the development of kidney failure in dogs. According to PetMD, the substance that causes the toxicity isn’t known.

  3. Avocado: Avocados contain a substance called persin. It’s harmless for humans who aren’t allergic. But large amounts might be toxic to dogs. Additional information from source: WebMD

  4. Wild Mushrooms: not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs and according to Dr. Ahna Brutlag, DVM, MS, DABT (who is the assistant director of Veterinary Services at the national Pet Poison Helpline), mushrooms are hard to identify. In a Pet Insurance article, she advises erring on the side of caution if you suspect your pet has eaten a wild mushroom.

  5. Onions: according to the ASPCA, all close members of the onion family such as shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc. contain compounds that can damage a dog’s red blog cells if ingested in sufficient quantities.

If you suspect your dog has eaten any of the above, contact your Vet immediately.

bottom of page